Monday, July 23, 2012

Blast from the Past #570: August 20, 2008: Re: Hey howdy hey!, September 17, 2008: Re: Howdy, October 3, 2008: Re: Lifting the Gag Order!, and October 23, 2008: Re: You don't call... you don't write...



Subj: Re: Hey howdy hey!
Date: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 11:13:35 AM
From: Peter Laird
To:   Lloyd Goldfine

In a message dated 8/18/08 10:46:10 AM, Lloyd writes:

Hiya Pete –

 Long time no see! ;)  Just thought I’d drop you an e-mail to check in.

 Things are jumping here at Turtle Central!  In addition to working on the post for the first few episodes, we’ve been cooking up the new Main Title visuals and mixing the final version of the main title song (remember the song contest?).  So the series is moving ahead like gangbusters and the big CW network premiere is on September 13th.>>

Lloyd,


I got the tape with the main title sequence, and -- even though it was unfinished -- thought it looked cool. The one thing I was a bit disappointed in was that I couldn't understand a lot of the lyrics -- maybe that will be fixed in the final mix.

<< We’ve also received all the sections of the storyboards for the big TMNT 25th Anniversary special and lemme tell you that puppy is shaping up to be an extravaganza!  All the voice casting has been done with the exception of one or two roles, and actual recording has already begun!  I’ve gone through the storyboards over the past few weeks and made copious revisions, and next Thursday I’m going to begin cutting the animatic for part one!  I cannot tell how excited I am!>>

Great! I'm really looking forward to this one.

 <<A while back you mentioned that you might have some reference materials re: the old Mirage Studios, something we keep in mind for the last scene of part 3 where we hear you and Kevin.  If you have that stuff handy I wouldn’t mind seeing it, though keep in mind I still haven’t figured out how we’re pulling off that sequence yet.  We should also speak about how best to get that final bit recorded, but there’s time for that yet.>>

I will try to find those photos -- there are probably only a few of them, showing Kevin and me in our stuffed chairs in the living room of the Dover, NH house.


-- Pete

----------------------------------------

Subj: Re: Howdy
Date: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:51:50 AM
From: Peter Laird
To:   Lloyd Goldfine

In a message dated 9/17/08 10:11:32 AM, Lloyd writes:

Hey Pete –

 How ya doin’?

 Just droppin’ you a note to update you on the 25th Anniversary DVD project.  For the past three weeks we’ve been cutting the animatics, and Pete – this thing is packed to overflowing!!  This week we’re working on part three, the big finale.  I’m currently cutting the sequence where the city is disappearing all around the Turtles and the two Donatellos (’88 & ’03) can’t get the dimensional portal stick to work!  The scene is really working well!  It’s particularly cool when they disappear at the last possible second… only to reappear in the black and white world of the first ever issue of the TMNT comic!!!!

 I’m really excited about this one.  The biggest problem we have is getting everything we want crammed in there!

 Hope everything’s good on your end.  J

 Lloyd

 PS – did you ever find those photos of you and Kevin working on the original comics in the original “studio?”  Lemme know.>>


Lloyd,


Nice to hear from you! Things are pretty decent here. My daughter is coming home for a couple of weeks -- I have to drive to the airport around midnight tonight to pick her up.


I'm glad to hear the special project is moving along well -- I'm very excited about this. Here's a question -- will the new Turtles in it have the original white eye look that we used up through "Fast Forward", or the new look with the eyeballs?


Also, how and when should we start dropping hints about this project? How much should we let on?


I'll keep looking for those photos -- my filing system is not what it should be!


I don't know if you've been following the online reaction to "Back to the Sewer", but from what I see it is mostly positive.


-- Pete

---------------------------------------------

Subj: Re: Lifting the Gag Order!
Date: Friday, October 3, 2008 1:09:58 AM
From: Peter Laird
To:   Lloyd Goldfine

In a message dated 10/2/08 5:15:56 PM, Lloyd writes:

Hey Pete -

 Happy October!

 I owed you an answer re: talking to the fans regarding the 25th Anniversary Project.  I finally caught up with Norman and we spoke briefly about it, and while plans for announcing and promoting the thing haven’t been solidified yet, he agreed that it’s be more than fine for you to begin to let it be known that something special is in the works, and even that the Turtles from the original show are gonna be meeting up with our green team supreme.  I think you could have some real fun with it!

 Let me know if this answers yer questions.

 The animatic is kicking my ass, but it’s coming out great, so it’s worth it!

 Hope all’s well with you and the gang!

 Lloyd>>

Lloyd,


Thanks for the update. I will immediately begin to flood the Internet with all the details.


Just kidding!


I promise to to be as discrete as possible while simultaneously teasing our potential audience with frustratingly incomplete nuggets.


-- Pete

----------------------------------------------

Subj: Re: You don't call... you don't write...
Date: Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:15:32 PM
From: Peter Laird
To:   Lloyd Goldfine

In a message dated 10/23/08 3:01:57 PM, Lloyd writes:

Hey Pete –

 How goes it?

 The 25th Anniversary Extravaganza is coming along nicely.  What’s gratifying for me (someone who is maybe too close to the project) is that everyone else working on the project in any connection, from interns to designers to editors to storyboard artists to voice actors… EVERYBODY is incredibly psyched about it.  ;)  If this is our swan song (a sad thought), at least it’s one hell of a way to go out!

 Hey, I was thinking that this thing doesn’t really have a title.  Given the infinite-dimension aspect of the storyline, combined with the idea that this is a summation and celebration of 25 years of TMNT goodness, I’d like to suggest “Turtles Forever.”  On the plus side, it’s dramatic, evocative, and it speaks to both the story and the anniversary.  On the minus side, it reminds me of that awful Batman movie (but they gave it the “forever” name for no good reason).

 Anywho, let me know your thoughts.

 Hope you folks are doing well and keeping warm.

 Cheers!

 Lloyd>>

Lloyd,


Good to hear from you! I am managing to stay warm, but I can feel the winter approaching the the inevitable hanging-up of the motorcycle helmet.


I'm glad to hear that everyone is into the 25th anniversary project -- I am very psyched to see it.


As for a title... I don't really have a problem with "Turtles Forever". But how about just flipping it around -- "Forever Turtles"? It essentially says the same thing, but with a whiff of Jack Kirby ("Forever People") and Bob Dylan ("Forever Young").


-- Pete

2 comments:

  1. I have to but laugh. When was NYCC 2008? I specifically remember asking you if there was any chance of either characters from the old show coming into the new show, or an actual crossover, and your response was a very hesitant 'Possibly' :).

    reading these, wondering if you might have thought there was a leak when i asked ;o)..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete